February 27, 2000 The Church with a Misplaced Savior Rev. 3
By Ronald E. George Jr. at the Fayetteville Baptist Church
Top Ten Reasons why we aren't Lukewarm!
Are we Lukewarm?
Scripture Text: Rev. 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
What does Jesus have to say to the church of Laodecia?Let me In!
Can you imagine the driver of a school bus running along side of his/her bus while the students were driving. The driver is beating furiously on the door wanting the students to let him/her in. This is the picture we get today of the Lord standing outside of the doors of the church asking to be let in.
1. I wish you were hot or cold and not lukewarm. Hot and cold waters were both useful in the city of Laodecia. Hot for bathing and cold for drinking, but lukewarm water was not useful for anything. As a matter of fact the Lord said that it made him sick to drink. The lukewarm church of the United States is not useful to the Lord. We aren't hot or on fire for the Lord and so down to earth that we are out in the cold where we are needed by him to spread the gospel. Since we are not useful for the Lord then we are rejected.
2. Why is the Church Lukewarm? They were rich with need of nothing. They had all the medicine they could use for the curing of eye ailments. They had the finest black wool in the ancient world. They were so rich that when the whole city burned it refused help from Caesar. But they didn't have the Savior.
The Church had no Commitment.
They were content to remain as they were. They had no Lord but themselves.
They had become complacent.
Their key word had become Whatever?
They didnt have need of a Savior.
They had all they needed. Since they had all they needed. They didn't need God to move into their church to change them.
3. Let me In? You have been given the power to decide to open the door and let Jesus in. He stands at the door of the church and knocks, but the handle to the door is on the inside. He won't come in unless he is invited. If we let the Lord into our church he says he will come in and sup with you and me. In the ancient to sit down and have a dinner with someone meant that you were forming a tie with that person. So that the two eating together where joining together in this world. Their enemies became yours and your friends became theirs. Friend he isn't too busy to knock at your door. He continues to say please let me in.
4. Let me give to you new life. He wants to give you new sight because you have lost the vision that the Lord wants us to have. He wants to give you clothes that will stand the test of the judgement. The clothes that have been washed in the blood of the Lamb. He knows that in real life you are poor. He wants to give riches that last beyond the rise and fall of the stock market. He wants to give you eternal riches. He wants you to hang around with him. Know him personally.
5. Let me give you my love. Will you accept his unconditional love?19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
6. Let me come into your house and into your life today! Let all those who want to invite him to your house today say come in Lord. Come into my house. I want you here. We want you in our church. Will you come in?